Friday, February 7, 2020

I've Accumulated Two More Prominent Twitter Blocks

I've accumulated a couple more prominent Twitter blocks. The first is Jerry Taylor. He was an environmental skeptic for the Cato Institute, who sort of switched sides after something of a falling out over advice he used (probably from Pat Michaels) in a debate with Joe Romm. He's now the president of a centrist think tank called the Niskanen Center. Here's a couple links to connect Pat Michaels and Joe Romm.

He's not terribly prominent with 9000 followers, but he does get cited a lot. He's not a 100% renewables zealot, but he does buy into a lot of the renewable hype. He's not anti-nuclear, but also not a big proponent. He does think it should play a roll and castigates anti-nukers. His tweets generally don't get a lot of responses, so I've made a lot of (mostly polite) responses to his climate and energy tweets. In his profile, he says he blocks trolls and in my profile, I refer to myself as a "Fact Mongering Nuclear Troll", along with two other pejorative descriptions.


So I'm a self described troll and he blocks trolls -- fair enough. Trolling is a word that has become a term for bad behavior and personal attacks on the internet. But I think there is an area of trolling that is legitimate -- challenging someones ideas and premises. I've often said that trolls and echo chambers are the yin and yang of the internet. Since they are both negatively perceived things, you can only exclude one or the other, not both, or more precisely, you have to take a position in the range between the two. It's often hard to challenge someone's deeply held notions without them feeling personally attacked. I suppose the way I have this framed, dealing with trolls is more positive than being an echo chamber.

My other Twitter block is from Ken White, who goes by the handle, "Popehat". He's a well respected blogger on legal issues with over two hundred thousand followers. This one is rather complicated and involves a piece he did for the Atlantic. It's a hit piece on John Ziegler, who criticized a well known writer, David Foster Wallace, for committing suicide. I was reading about this in John Ziegler's Twitter feed and decided to check out Popehat's Twitter feed, ... and I couldn't find it with twitters search button. So I clicked on Popehat's handle in one of the tweets and found that I was blocked.

Another one of the pejoratives that I have on my Twitter profile, is "Penn State Truther". This refers to my being a follower and fan, ... and even an active promoter of John Ziegler's work on the Penn State-Joe Paterno-Jerry Sandusky scandal. I even devote a large portion of another blog I have to it, called Canman Canned Facts. The best place to learn about the Penn State scandal is in the links in my pinned tweet. The best way I can summarize this is to say that John Ziegler thought Joe Paterno was getting a bad rap and did a very extensive investigation, in which he destroyed his own career by finding that Jerry Sandusky was innocent. I know it sounds crazy, but please check out the aforementioned links before making a judgment. It really is a great story!

The thing that really bothers me about this saga is that Popehat won't engage in any direct communication with Ziegler and dismisses him as a Sandusky truther. John Ziegler has serious journalistic credentials and a lot of serious people agree with his Penn State conclusions, including renowned science writer, Mark Pendergrast, memory expert Elizabeth Loftus, former Newsweek editor, Bob Roe, reporter, Ralph Cipriano, and more. Ziegler deserves better than this.

I guess the reason Popehat blocked me, was that I'd previously tweeted to him to look into Ziegler's work. It should be right up his alley.

17 comments:

  1. Based on your desperate avoidance of the evidence over at Eli’s (http://rabett.blogspot.com/2020/02/why-bother.html), I suspect you were blocked for being neither informative nor entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think I was blocked for being both informative and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sure you do, but you’re not half as clever or intelligent as you seem to think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I should have attributed that observation to our friend Feynman.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canman10/2/20 5:31 PM
    Velvet, I have a question. Do you distinguish between "intellectual dishonesty" and disagreement, and if so, how?

    —————

    Mike, you’re a troll. Your participation in ANY discussion is meant to disrupt, NOT to enlighten or participate.

    You have received hundreds of citations and explanations over the years, but you still bleat stupid denier sh!t at every opportunity.

    Or you defend child rapists and try to drag the Climate community into it.

    Do you bleat ignorant sh!t at such ‘echo chambers’ as Dictionary.com? WebMD?

    How can you expect ANYONE to respect trash like yourself?

    The answer, of course, is that you don’t.

    So stop pretending otherwise, trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you can't enlighten, without disrupting.

      Delete
  6. I don't think Jerry Sandusky is a child rapist. I find the mountians of evidence provided by John Ziegler and Mark Pendergrast to be convincing. Child rape is a terrible thing, but so is someone being wrongly accused and convicted of it. I suppose I could be wrong, but I've provided lots of links and names of serious people who agree with me. If you don't agree, check them out and refute them.

    As for trolls, I have a rather broad definition that includes bringing up opposing views, which I think IS enlightening. Your definition appears to be limited to making personal attacks and name calling, which makes you the troll and not me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, as for dragging the climate community into it, you're the one who brought my Sandusky views up at Rabett Run. I can't let an attack on such a sensitive topic like that go without a response.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, you are a willfully ignorant child, not a victim. Your “opposing viewpoints” have been debunked tens of thousands of times, many thousands of which have been specifically addressed to YOU.

    You’re a poor troll, Mike, and your embarrassing ignorance about the topics you troll isn’t mistaken as “disagreement” by ANYONE.

    (And your “I’m rubber, you’re glue” retort is exactly as pathetic as one would expect.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Your “opposing viewpoints” have been debunked tens of thousands of times, many thousands of which have been specifically addressed to YOU."

    IN your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see you deleted some of your comments at Rabett Run. Are you ashamed of them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ALWAYS regret pig-rasslin’, Mike. Eli could send you running with a single phrase if he cared; nobody else was likely in danger of being truly miseducated by you. But fools rush in while angels hold my beer.

    (Though I DID enjoy how the Curry quip stoped you in your tracks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lame cheap shot hasn't stopped me. I'm still here. You're the Rabett Runner.

      Delete
    2. Eli has a single magic phrase? Is that like Monty Pythons joke that is so funny, that anyone who hears it will die laughing?

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yo9WHrTvks

      Delete
  12. Here's the comments that Velvet self-deleted at the Rabett Run post (perhaps in an attempt to disrupt the continuity of the thread):

    http://rabett.blogspot.com/2020/02/why-bother.html

    -------------------------

    velvet nous said...

    Did those meanies at SKS reject Canboy’s offering of sour grapes and bottles of whine?

    8/2/20 9:40 AM

    -------------------------

    velvet nous said...

    Declaring others beliefs, is what psychics do.

    Denial is the choice you have made, so we go around or through you.

    8/2/20 4:39 PM

    --------------------------

    velvet nous said...

    (...which suggests you’d be FANTASTIC as a GOP Senator.)

    8/2/20 4:57 PM

    --------------------------

    velvet nous said...

    “Most of this ‘hard data’ looks pretty noisy and ambiguous and can be spun in both directions...”

    No, Mikey. You’re just lazy and stupid, your denial listless and mechanical.

    Maybe it’s time you put more focus into your Jerry Sandusky fan club. I hear the evidence is pretty noisy and ambiguous.

    10/2/20 9:13 AM

    --------------------------

    ReplyDelete