Sunday, February 21, 2016

Why Is My Two Star Amazon Review Ranked Last?

When Naomi Oreskes and Eric Conway's book, The Collapse of Western Civilizationcame out, I immediately purchased a Kindle copy of this short inexpensive book, because I wanted to write one of the first Amazon reviews of it. My review turned out to be the sixteenth one of the current total of 288. I gave it two stars, even though I really dislike their writing, because I felt it gave a concise look at their views. It has one comment by me where I included some non-Amazon links (Amazon does not allow them in a review). There are 31 two star reviews (11% of the total). The other day I thought I'd check how I was ranking and was surprised to find that my review was ranked dead last among two star reviews!

Now since I'm very critical of these two authors, I don't expect to get a very high ratio of helpful votes. But among the two star reviews, mine was clearly the longest. How did I end up dead last? So I made a table of the two star reviews that includes rank, helpful votes, total votes, the ratio of helpful to total votes and the number of lines of text that appear on my laptop screen, excluding blank lines between paragraphs.

I got 11 helpful out of 38 total votes -- the second highest in both categories! My ratio of 0.29 was the thirteenth highest out of a total of 31. Eleven others got no helpful votes!

Amazon listed 100 critical reviews. I don't want to go through all the work to tabulate them all but mine is clearly one of the three longest and it is ranked at 88!

Dead last in the two star reviews? Give me a freak'n break!


Links:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Collapse-Western-Civilization-Future-ebook/dp/B00K33E4J2/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R14TFYET2DMBLJ/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00K33E4J2

No comments:

Post a Comment